Core Play: Powerful Web Applications Made Simple
Next public courses TBA London Get in touch to book privately
Our Core Play course is aimed at developers who want to quickly get up to speed with the Play 2 web framework for building modern web applications with Scala. It gives thorough coverage of Play, with a particular emphasis on the advanced features, such as asynchronous processing and Websockets, that set Play apart from other web frameworks.
This core Play course is offered both publicly and privately at your site. When delivered privately you have complete course programming flexibility allowing you and your team to tailor course content to your needs and to fit its delivery around your normal schedule — for example, scheduling as two half days over two weeks might be suitable. Please contact us to tell us what you need and for pricing and bookings.
You will ...
- Learn how to construct Actions to respond to HTTP requests.
- Take away a working knowledge of how Play handles fundamental topics such as templates and forms.
- Gain a thorough understanding of how to build modern web applications that produce and consume JSON.
- Learn how Play support asynchronous processing, which allows for high throughput and scalability.
- Understand iteratees and enumerators, and how Play uses them to support Websockets.
To benefit from this course you should have a working knowledge of Scala, such as provided by our Core Scala course.
- Design philosophy
- Routes and Controllers
- The Play console
- Declaring forms
- Using forms in templates
- Binding and validating forms
- Form composition
- Unit testing in Play
- Functional testing with FluentLenium
Ajax and JSON
- Making Ajax calls
- Parsing JSON
- Constructing JSON
- JSON typeclasses
- Asynchronous Actions
- Interacting with web services
- Iteratees and enumerators
- Websockets and Actors
Please contact us to arrange your booking.